Can I claim a dependent exemption for my adult daughter?

April 12, 2006

Date:  Fri, 24 Mar 2006
From:  Louise

My adult daughter lived with me for most of 2005 due to a severe automobile accident. I did not pay for her medical expenses, but I did support her. Can I claim a dependent exemption for her on my income tax return? Thank you!


Date:  Mon, 03 Apr 2006

Hello Louise,

If your daughter had gross taxable income of less than $3,200 and did not provide more than one-half of her own support, you should be able to claim a dependent exemption for her. See IRS Publication 501 at

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St. Ste. 102
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 998-2766
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog

Sign up for our free monthly newsletter,
Tax & Business Insight,
for the latest tax news!

subscribe html
unsubscribe text only

We respect your email privacy!