Can I claim deductions for gas mileage and books?

February 9, 2005

Date:  Sun, 30 Jan 2005
From:  Jessica

Can I claim items like gas mileage and books on my tax return? What about loans? I haven't begun to pay them and will begin to pay when school is completed. I only make the interest payments.


Date:  Mon, 31 Jan 2005

Hello Jessica,

You haven't given me many details for your situation. Personal mileage, including driving to school to earn your first college degree, isn't deductible.

There may be some credits or deductions available relating to your education expenses. I recommend that you go to the IRS web site at and get Pub 970, Tax Benefits of Education, and Pub 508, Tax Benefits for Work-Related Education.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St. Ste. 102
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 998-2766
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog

Sign up for our free monthly newsletter,
Tax & Business Insight,
for the latest tax news!

subscribe html
unsubscribe text only

We respect your email privacy!