Can a business claim a deduction for forgiving part of a bill?

November 8, 2006


Can a business claim a tax deduction for forgiving part of a bill to a 501(c)(3) (charity)?


Yes. I'm not aware of any prohibition from claiming such a deduction. You should get an acknowledgement of the gift from the charity with a statement that no goods or services were given to you in exchange for the donation.

Stanley Balsky, CPA of Rutherford, NJ and Andy Goloboy, CPA pointed out that not all gifts of accounts receivable are deductible.

Thanks for staying alert!

I didn't include all of the details for this question, so I apologize.

An accrual basis taxpayer can claim a tax deduction for forgiveness of a debt to a charity because it has a tax basis in the account receivable from reporting the income. A cash basis taxpayer that is performing services, such as a CPA firm, will not qualify for a tax deduction for forgiving the receivable because there is no tax basis in the account receivable. The income isn't reported until it's collected.

Good luck,
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St. Ste. 102
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 998-2766
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog

Sign up for our free monthly newsletter,
Tax & Business Insight,
for the latest tax news!

subscribe html
unsubscribe text only

We respect your email privacy!