Do I have to pay taxes on an IRA withdrawl if I give it away?

September 15, 2006

Date:  Thu, 10 Aug 2006
From:  Janice


If I make a withdrawal from a traditional IRA account and give the money to my mother as a gift, do I have to report taxable income from the withdrawal? Would I responsible for paying income taxes on it?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,


Date:  Wed, 06 Sep 2006

Hello Janice,

Giving the money to your mother doesn't shift the income tax burden to her. The IRA is personal to you. Any amounts that you withdraw from it will be taxable to you. Remember penalty taxes can apply if you withdraw funds from an IRA before reaching age 59 1/2.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy