Are there any tax breaks for long commutes?

September 21, 2005

Subject:  New Job - Long Commute
Date:  Wed, 7 Sep 2005
From:  Lyle

I was recently forced to make a change in my employment. My new employer is located 130 miles from my home, compared to 16 miles from my former employer. Are there any tax breaks for long commutes?

With the price of gas at $2.80 per gallon, the commute will account for a yearly commute of 62,400 miles and $6000!

Any advice you could provide would be greatly appreciated.



Date:  Wed, 14 Sep 2005

Hello Lyle,

Commuting expenses aren't tax deductible. There are some breaks for bus passes, but I don't think that will solve your problem.

Consider moving closer to your new employer (moving expenses are a deduction as an adjustment to gross income), or look for other employment located closer to your home.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy