Can I claim my mother as a dependent?

January 21, 2005

Subject:  Parents as dependents
From:  Rosemary
Date:  Fri, 10 Dec 2004

Hi, we recently moved in with my mother after my dad passed. His pension stopped when he died so we moved in and are paying the mortgage and utility bills for my mother. Is it possible to deduct her as our dependent, since we are paying almost all of her bills?

Thank You,
Riverside, CA


Date:  20 Dec 2004

Hello Rosemary,

Possibly. In order to claim a dependency deduction, five tests must be met. (1) The dependent must have less than $3,100 of gross income for the taxable year (excludes tax exempt amounts like the exempt part of social security); (2) the taxpayer who is claiming the exemption deduction must have provided more than half of the support for the dependent for the taxable year; (3) the dependent must have a qualifying relationship (parent qualifies); (4) the dependent must not have filed a joint return with his or her spouse; and (5) the dependent must be a citizen, national or resident of the United States, a resident of Canada or Mexico at some time during the calendar year in which the tax year of the taxpayer begins, or an alien child adopted by and living with a U.S. citizen or national as a member of his household for the entire year.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy