If I move to Nevada, are my California retirement benefits taxable?

June 6, 2003

Subject:  California Income Tax
From:  Bernard
Date:  Wed, 14 May 2003

I am a California state employee. If I retire and move to Nevada, must I still pay California income tax on my state retirement benefits? Thank you for your response.


Date:  2 Jun 2003

Hello Bernard,

Under federal law, California may not tax "qualified retirement income" received after 1995 by former California residents who move to another state. Qualified retirement income includes most state retirement arrangements, so your benefits should not be taxable if you move to Nevada. Be sure to eliminate all of your ties to California, including your bank accounts, and register to vote in Nevada to eliminate any potential issue of questions of residence.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2190 Stokes St. Ste. 102
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 998-2766
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog

Sign up for our free monthly newsletter,
Tax & Business Insight,
for the latest tax news!

subscribe html
unsubscribe text only

We respect your email privacy!