What do we need to do before accepting donations?

March 5, 2003

From:  Tim
Date:  Sun, 23 Feb 2003

Mr Gray,

My softball team is trying to get sponsorship from businesses in our area. We will be starting an account at the local band and we are a non-profit. Will we need a tax I.D. number, etc.? Also, is there anything else that I should be aware of in taking on this task?

Thanks for your time,


Date:  28 Feb 2003

Hello Tim,

This isn't really a short answer question. Since you are trying to get sponsorships, it may be you should set up a formal organization for your team, including filing for non-profit status - possibly even as a charity. As such, you will need an employer identification number. (The bank will ask for one to open the account.) I really think you should consult with an attorney who is familiar with these issues to discuss your alternatives.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy