What can I deduct for work?
September 15, 2006
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006
- Please confirm that mileage for commuting to and from work isn't deductible.
- Can a new car used mostly for work be deducted?
- Can I claim a tax deduction for dry cleaning for career apparel?
Date: 02 Aug 2006
- Right. Mileage for commuting is non-deductible.
- Deductions for automobiles are severely restricted. There is an IRS publication on the subject. (See Publication 463 at the IRS web site, http://www.irs.gov.) If you're just using the car for commuting and other personal use, no deduction is allowed.
- Dry cleaning is allowed if there is a special uniform for your career, like for police, firepersons, security guards, nurses and for medical doctors' lab coats. Dry cleaning is not allowed for "street wear" career clothing, like suits for CPAs and attorneys.
For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.
Home Newsletter Archive Introducing Michael Gray, CPA Articles Tax FAQ Need Help? Other Links