Can I contribute the same amount to an IRA as my 401(k)?

January 22, 2003

Subject:  401k and IRA deductions
Date:  Mon, 09 Dec 2002
From:  Karthik


I was saving through my employer's 401 k, but lost my job in May so contributions ended in May. I have contributed about $4,000 this year.

I am not eligible for my new employer's plan until January. Can I invest in an IRA for the difference ($7,000) for 2002 and deduct them from taxes?



Date:  Fri, 03 Jan 2003

Hello Karthik,

The answer is "No."

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy