Can I claim my son as a dependent if I support him, even though his mother has custody?

March 16, 2005

Subject:  Question from Gilmore
Date:  Sun, 27 Feb 2005
From:  Tom


I've been paying support through the courts for the past 8 years to my son, who is 8 years old. My son's mother and I have never been married. His mother hasn't been working for the past 5 years. I wish to claim my son on my tax return, but his mother will not allow it. How do I, and do I have the legal right to claim my son?

Thank you for your time, and knowledge in this matter,



Date:  04 Mar 2005

Hello Tom,

The custodial parent is generally entitled to the dependent exemption. The only way for you to get it is for her to release it to you on Form 8332.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy