What are the requirements to claim a dependent?

July 16, 2001

Subject:  tax question
Date:  Wed, 11 Apr 2001
From:  Anonymous

Hi Mike,

I found your site on the web, it's great and I'll definitely refer it to my friends. Since I just started my tax filing and the time is flying I chose sending you email hoping you can kindly give me some suggestions.

I have a question on the tax filing. I'm a Chinese in F-1 visa status. I've been with my fiancee for the last two years. He was a student too and he didn't work last year. The only income was my financial aid. He is permanent resident of U.S.A. Is it possible for me to claim him as my dependent for the year 2000?

Thanks a lot!


Date:  11 May 2001


I’m not an expert on taxation of aliens.

In order to qualify as a dependent, you and your fiancé would have to meet certain requirements.

  1. He would have to have less than $2,800 of gross income for 2000.
  2. You would have to have provided more than half of his total support for 2000.
  3. He would have to have lived in your residence for all of 2000.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy