Can I be audited if I submit an amended return?

July 16, 2001

Subject:  tax info
Date:  07 March 2001
From:  Ron

I had my taxes done by a person that gave me their business card last year. I received my taxes back from him, signed them and mailed them off. I just received my state refund and it seemed like too much. I then looked at my copy he gave me of my taxes and it was really screwed up. There were a lot of write offs on there that do not make sense to me. He did not sign my taxes as the preparer. I was the only person that signed. I also did not cash my return check. I feel I need to make an amendment to my taxes. If I do this in time, can I be audited because of my old already sent in forms? Also, can I get in trouble for this mistake of not looking them over first? I would like to fix this problem ASAP. Could you please shed some light on this matter for me? My main question is, "Can I do an amendment without any problems?" Could you let me know what you think?

Thanks a lot,


Date:  09 March 2001

Hello Ron,

If it was wrong, you should go ahead and do an amended return, but there is no guarantee that there won't be any problems. An amended return can be a red flag to the IRS that something was wrong, but you are better off that way than if you don't file an amended return and they decide to audit you!

Always check your tax returns for accuracy before filing them.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy