How do I calculate alternative minimum tax?

September 15, 2006

Date:  Fri, 28 Jul 2006
From:  Lynn


I am trying to estimate my income taxes for the sale of a property. I sold it for $193,000. The capital gains are $165,000, depreciation is $52,000, and other annual income is $17,000. I am wondering if I will be subject to the alternative minimum tax.

How can I figure that out?



Date:  02 Aug 2006

Hello Lynn,

Download 2005 Form 1040, Schedule D and 2005 Form 6251 from the IRS web site at Part III of Form 6251 is for the computation of the AMT using maximum capital gains rates. Get the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet at page 38 of the instructions for Form 1040. Remember that capital gains up to the amount of accumulated depreciation for real estate is subject to a 25% federal tax rate for regular tax and AMT.

If you need more detailed help in making the computation, you will need to pay consultation fees.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy