Do I have to pay California tax from Australia?

July 10, 2002

Subject:  question about CA state tax for expatriots
From:  Laura Simmons
Date:  Mon, 17 Jun 2002

Can you help me figure out how to avoid paying an unbelievable amount of CA state tax because I moved to Australia for 1 year? I left CA in September of 2000 and my current accountant is telling me that I owe $2275 in taxes because CA doesn't exclude foreign income. Is there a way to legally avoid this since I didn't live in CA?


Laura Simmons


Date:  28 Jun 2002

Hello Laura,

You have stumbled onto one of the most complex areas of California tax law. Your accountant is probably right. California residents, even when they temporarily leave the state, are subject to tax on their worldwide income. In order to avoid California tax, you would have to demonstrate that your intention was to not return to California and show you severed your ties to the state. That's hard to do when you left for such a brief period of time.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy