Am I subject to California tax for the income I earned there?

August 19, 2011

From:  Padmanabhan
Date:  23 Mar 2009

I lived in California for nine months and earned income there. For the last three months of the year, I worked in another state where there is no state tax. Am I subject to California tax only for the income that I earned there?


Date:  6 Apr 2009

Hello Padmanabhan,

Yes, provided you have actually changed your residence to the other state. You should file Form 540NR. You can get the form and instructions at the California Franchise Tax Board web site,

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy