What is the limit for capital losses?

February 9, 2005

Subject:  Question - selling upside down stocks a limit
Date:  Fri, 28 Jan 2005
From:  Craig


I have 3 stock investments held long-term that I sold during 2004. I had tax losses as follows: Stock A, $2,160; Stock B, $2,462; Stock C $9,933. When I entered the loss for Stock C in my tax return preparation software, the taxable income and federal tax refund didn't change. Why?



Date:  Mon, 31 Jan 2005

Hello Craig,

Because the maximum capital losses that may be deducted in any tax year on an individual's federal income tax return is limited to $3,000. Excess capital losses are carried over to the next year. See line 21 of Schedule D.

If you are going to be an investor, you need to learn the rules of the game. At least read the section on capital gains and losses in a good tax guide. Your stock broker might also have some booklets on tax rules relating to investments that you can study.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy