How do I report cash earnings from flower shop deliveries?

September 23, 2005

Date:  Fri, 26 Aug 2005
From:  Phil


First, I really like your website. I have a question.

I retired 14 months ago and took a part time job as a delivery person for a small flower shop. The owner pays me in cash and it's my responsibility to report the income on my tax return.

I use my own car for the deliveries, and I'm not reimbursed for the mileage.

How should I report the income on my income tax returns? Can I deduct a mileage allowance for using my car?

Thank you,


Date:  Wed, 14 Sep 2005

Hello Phil,

Why get yourself involved in an arrangement that creates tax issues? Isn't there another flower shop in the area that is willing to report the arrangement properly?

Under your current arrangement, you can try reporting the income on Schedule C and claim a business expense for your mileage of 40.5¢ per mile to August 31, 2005 and 48.5¢ per mile for the rest of 2005.

Thanks to information sharing after September 11, 2001, your city may contact you and request that you apply for a business license.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy