Can I deduct mileage for a temporary job commute?

February 9, 2005

Subject:  Contractor mileage...
Date:  Thu, 27 Jan 2005
From:  Dave

Hi Michael,

I have been contracted by an IT staffing company to a company that is a 104-mile commute (round trip) from my house.

The staffing company pays me and issues my W-2.

Can I take the mileage as a deduction because of the temporary nature of the job?

Thanks for your help!

San Diego, CA


Date:  Mon, 31 Jan 2005

Hello Dave,

Probably not. The IRS has recently been "looking through" these arrangements and finding the contracting company to actually be the employer.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy