Can I claim my child as a dependent if I live with my Mom?

February 18, 2004

Subject:  claiming dependents

From:  Anonymous
Date:  Wed, 07 Jan 2004

I am a 19-year-old college student with a 3-year-old child. I have been providing for my daughter even though I stay with my mother. Can I claim my daughter as a dependent this year since I have been working?


Date:  Mon, 02 Feb 2004


In order to claim your daughter as a dependent, you have to provide more than one-half of her support. It sounds like your mother is doing that.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy