What is the tax on foreigner's gifts to United States citizens?

September 26, 2008

From:  Tomasa
Date:  01 Aug 2008

Can an individual from another country make a gift to a US citizen without incurring a U.S. gift tax? What is the limit per year?


Date:  06 Sep 2008

Hello Tomasa,

This is becoming a more complicated issue. Non-residents of the U.S. aren't generally subject to U.S. gift tax, except for transfers of tangible property located in the United States. However, effective June 17, 2008, gifts by former residents or citizens of the U.S. to U.S. citizens or residents can now be subject to a transfer tax of 45%. The annual exclusion amount of $12,000 isn't subject to the tax.

Gifts of more than $100,000 received from a nonresident alien must also be reported on Form 3520, Annual Return To Report Transactions With Foreign Trusts and Receipt of Certain Foreign Gifts.

The country of residence for the non-resident alien who make the gifts could also impose a gift tax for gifts to U.S. persons.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy