Can I claim the gas and mileage of my commute as a tax deduction?

September 26, 2008

From:  Lee Ellen
Date:  01 Sep 2008

My sister told me that, since I drive 60 miles one way to work, I can claim deductions for the mileage and gas on my income tax returns. I live in northern New York and am very skeptical about this. She told me that a coworker has been doing this for about 7 or so years. I thought this might apply if you own your own company, but not for an employee commuting to work.

Thanks for your assistance,
Lee Ellen


Date:  06 Sep 2008

Hello Lee Ellen,

Automobile expenses for commuting to and from a regular work location aren't tax deductible. See IRS Publication 463 on Travel, Entertainment, Gift and Car Expenses. You can get it at Maybe your sister's coworker just hasn't been caught yet. (Business owners can't deduct automobile expenses for commuting to and from their regular work location either.)

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy