Are there any taxes on gifts from relatives in other countries?

September 26, 2008

From:  Nicole
Date:  20 Mar 2008

Dear Mr. Gray:

I am a US citizen and I would like to know what the limit is of money I can receive from my relatives abroad. Are there any tax consequences to me?

Thank you for your attention.


Date:  02 Apr 2008

Hello Nicole,

Receiving a gift is not subject to income tax.

Most gifts of intangible property by a nonresident alien are not subject to U.S. gift tax. (Internal Revenue Code Section 2501(a)(2).) Your relatives should see a U.S. tax consultant about structuring these gifts to avoid being subject to U.S. gift tax.

If you receive a gift of more than $100,000 from a non-resident alien, the gift must be reported on Form 3520. The form has the same due date as your individual income tax return. You can get a copy at

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy