Do we have to pay taxes on a foreign gift from my parents?

October 10, 2011

Subject:  Cash Gift
From:  Sandy
Date:  28 Sep 2011

Hi Mr. Gray:

Do we have to pay taxes on a gift of $200,000 from my parents for our investment home? My parents live in a foreign country.

Thanks for your time.


Date:  3 Oct 2011

Hello Sandy,

Gifts are not taxable income. Federal gift taxes are imposed on the donor, not the donee/recipient. Gifts of more than $100,000 from a foreign person must be reported on Form 3520, which you can find at The form is due at the same time as your federal income tax return. For 2011, that will be April 16, 2012. Your parents should see a tax consultant in their country to find out if they are subject to a transfer tax of some kind for this transaction.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy