Can I claim my grandchildren as dependents?

May 9, 2005

From:  Paul
Date:  Sat, 16 Apr 2005

Sirs, Ladies,

Is it true that if you provide more than one-half the support of your grandchildren, you can claim them as dependents?



Date:  Mon, 02 May 2005

Hello Paul,

Yes. When the grandchildren have living parents, you should coordinate claiming the exemption with them. The IRS can check the social security numbers for the dependents to be sure they aren't being claimed on more than one income tax return.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy