Can I claim head of household?

March 16, 2005

Subject:  Head of household
Date:  Tue, 1 Mar 2005
From:  Leslie

My 24 year old son lives in my home with me. I am widowed. I pay all expenses of the upkeep of the home (mortgage, taxes, heating, insurance, etc.) He is gainfully employed and can not be claimed as my dependent. A friend advised that I could still file as head of household. Is that true?

Thanks for any help,



Date:  04 Mar 2005

Hello Leslie,

You may claim head of household status for 2004.

Effective for 2005, the child or other dependent must qualify for the dependency exemption deduction for the parent in your circumstances to qualify as a head of household.

You (and other single parents with adult children) should write or call their representatives in Congress to make a technical correction and reverse this change.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy