Can I file as head-of-household for my parents?

April 19, 2004

Subject:  taxes
From:  Cindy
Date:  Fri, 26 Mar 2004

I live in my parents' home with my son. My father passed away this past year and they had no income except for social security, a small IRA that my mother cashed out to pay for funeral expenses and W-2 income of $1,800. I help my mother with most expenses. Can I file as head of household and claim one or both of my parents as dependents?



Date:  Fri, 2 Apr 2004

Hello Cindy,

Since you are living in your parents' home, I don't think you can qualify as a head of household. With the IRA, it looks like your mother has too much income for you to claim her as a dependent. You would have to provide more than one-half of your father's support to claim him as a dependent. You could only claim him as a dependent if his income tax return is filed on a married, filing separately basis.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy