What should I do if my professionally prepared tax return is wrong?

May 14, 2004

Subject:  tax question
From:  Heather
Date:  Mon, 19 Apr 2004

I had my tax returns prepared by a commercial tax return preparation company this year. They didn't include a schedule for self-employment tax and I am a self-employed independent contractor. What should I do?


Date:  Fri, 30 Apr 2004

Hello Heather,

Go back to the tax return preparation company and ask them to prepare an amended income tax return for you at no charge. As I recall, they guarantee that they will pay any penalties you incur as a result of their preparation services. If they refuse, have another preparer do it and file to recover your expenses in small claims court. Don't panic, it's going to be OK.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy