How do I sell inherited stock?

August 22, 2011

From:  Lynda
Date:  14 Dec 2007

I inherited stock from my father in 2001. I would like to sell them to pay some bills. How do I do this?


Date:  28 Dec 2007

Hello Lynda,

Assuming the stock is publicly traded, take the certificates to a stock brokerage firm (like Morgan Stanley, Merrill Lynch, or Salomon Smith Barney) and ask a representative for help. If the stock isn’t publicly traded, you might not be able to currently sell it, but should register your ownership with the company in case they later make a public offering or are bought out.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy