Can stock be transferred to an IRA?

September 23, 2005

Date:  Thu, 25 Aug 2005
From:  Gayle

Dear Mr. Gray,

I was at your website last night and was hoping I might ask you an IRA question.

My husband transferred some shares of stock received in a class action suit as an IRA contribution.

My broker tells me that stock can't be transferred to an IRA. Is there an exception to this rule? I have a few shares of stock that I also would like to contribute to my IRA.

Thank you,


Date:  Wed, 14 Sep 2005

Hello Gayle,

IRA contributions must be made in cash. (Internal Revenue Code Section 219(e)(1).)

The only exception is that when property is received as a distribution from an IRA that is later rolled over to another IRA, the property must be rolled over intact. (Section 408(d)(3)(A)(ii).)

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy