How will Ken Jennings be taxed on his Jeopardy winnings?

August 9, 2004

From:  Jay
Date:  Tue, 13 Jul 2004
Subject:  Jeopardy winnings

Do you have any idea how Ken Jennings will be taxed on his winnings on Jeopardy? Will there be a 1099? Will taxes be withheld? What is the procedure?


Date:  Fri, Jul 30, 2004

Hello Jay,

Ken Jennings is a resident of Utah. The Jeopardy show is taped in California. The prize will be reported on Form 1099-Misc. There is no provision for federal tax withholding for game show winnings. California will tax the winnings as California-source income. Ken Jennings can claim a state tax credit for the California tax to eliminate his Utah tax. California will withhold 7% of the winnings when they are paid, unless the Franchise Tax Board consents to a lower rate or no withholding in writing after a request by the payor or payee. I estimate that if Ken Jennings prepays his California tax, the net tax rate on the winnings will be about 43.5%.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy