Can I claim head of household?

September 30, 2008

Date:   Sat, 26 Jan 2008
From:   Ashley

I am single and live with my boyfriend, mother, stepfather, and younger brother. I own the house we live in together with my boyfriend. Is there any way that I could claim head of household?


Date:   31 Jan 2008

Hello Ashley,

In order to qualify, you would have to have a qualifying dependent. In order to do this, someone couldn't have income above the personal exemption amount ($3,400 for 2007), you would have to provide more than one-half that person's support, and no one else could claim that person as a dependent. The best candidate would be your brother, but is your mother willing to give up the exemption?

This is actually a more complicated question than you might think. I suggest that you get Publication 501 at the IRS web site, and study it.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy