Should I take an owner's draw or salary from my LLC?

September 26, 2008

From:  Dina
Date:  27 Jun 2008

I am a partner (member) in an LLC. The LLC files Form 1065 (U.S. partnership income tax return).

Can I take an owner's draw, or should I pay myself a guaranteed payment? I understand that an owner's draw is not taxable on my individual income tax return, gut guaranteed payments are.

If I can collect an owner's draw, is there a limit of how much?

Thank you,


Date:  02 Jul 2008

Hello Dina,

A guaranteed payment can be for different purposes. The one you are talking about is for a partner's salary. A salary is usually arranged when one or more partners are active in the business and others aren't.

The LLC/partnership takes a tax deduction for the guaranteed payment and the member/partner who receives it reports it as income. The amount is reported by the LLC/partnership to the member/partner at Part III, line 4 of Schedule K-1.

The members/partners share taxable income of the LLC/partnership, after the guaranteed payment deduction, is taxable on their individual income tax returns. The amount for each member/partner is shown at Part III, line 1 of Schedule K-1.

Draws for LLC members may be legally limited because LLCs have limited liability protection. You should discuss this with a business lawyer.

Consider hiring a tax return preparer to prepare your income tax returns and for tax advice. That's our business!

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy