Should my withholding change when I get married?

September 15, 2006

Date:  Wed, 02 Aug 2006
From:  Alicia

To whom it may concern:

I am getting married next month, and I was wondering whether I will still be able to report as single on my W-4 (withholding) form. If so, can I file as a single person on my income tax returns, since I was single most of the year, or do we have to file as married?

Thank you so much!


Date:  Wed, 02 Aug 2006

Hello Alicia,

There is a "married, but withhold at higher single rate" category on the W-4 form. The main issue is whether you will have enough tax withheld to pay your tax liability.

The status reported on your W-4 does not necessarily have to be the same as the status on your income tax return. Your marital status on your income tax return depends on your marital status at the end of the year. Therefore, you and your husband will have to file as married persons, so long as you are both living and still married at the end of the year.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy