Can I claim a tax deduction for unreimbursed mileage?

August 22, 2011

From:  Maria
Date:  Mon, 23 Nov 2009

Hi Michael.

I am required for my employment to travel to different stores throughout the day. My company pays 32¢ per mile, but only for a portion of my drive time. There are about 80 miles per work day that they do not cover. I have been keeping a mileage log for my commuting and traveling. The IRS standard mileage rate for 2009 is 55¢ per mile. Can I claim a deduction for the mileage that my employer doesn't reimburse?



Date:  4 Dec 2009

Hello Maria,

Not all mileage is deductible. For example, commuting to work (or your first stop of the day) and home from work (or from your last stop of the day home) aren't deductible.

You can deduct your 2009 standard mileage allowance of 55¢ per business mile minus the reimbursed amount on Form 2106, Employee Business Expenses. Be aware employee business expenses are miscellaneous itemized deductions, from which 2% of adjusted gross income is subtracted, so it's hard to qualify for a deduction.

Also see IRS Publication 463, especially pages 14 through 16 and pages 28 through 30. You can get it at or by calling the IRS or visiting an IRS office.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy