Can I claim mileage on my tax return?

October 25, 2002

Subject:  mileage question
Date:  Tue, 24 Sep 2002
From:  Robert

Hello. I appreciate the information on your website. My question has to do with vehicle mileage. I am being paid $.20 per mile right now from my employer, but I know the maximum allowance is $.365. Can I claim the difference on my federal tax return?

Thank You,



Date:  Wed, 16 Oct 2002

Hello Robert,

Yes. The expense information and reimbursement are reported on Form 2106, Employee Business Expenses. The net expense is reported on Schedule A as a miscellaneous itemized deduction. Since 2% of adjusted gross income is subtracted from most miscellaneous itemized deductions, including employee business expenses, it's hard to qualify for a deduction for the unreimbursed amount.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy