Can I claim a mileage deduction if my employer pays for gas?

February 27, 2006

From:  Rob
Date:  Wed, 25 Jan 2006

If I use my personal car for work as a sales representative and my employer pays for my gasoline expenses, can I still claim the full mileage deduction on my federal tax return?


Date:  Thu, 09 Feb 2006

Hello Rob,

You can compute the standard mileage deduction, then subtract the reimbursement from your employer to compute the employee business expense.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy