Where do I report income from 1099-MISC forms?

April 14, 2004

Subject:  1099-MISC question
From:  Barbara
Date:  Fri, 2 Apr 2004

Dear Mike,

I work in computer sales for a PC components distributor. I have received two 1099-MISC forms -- one from a vendor who gives us commission money in the form of cash, the other from a vendor on whose website I had won prizes/awards that exceed $600. Where do I report the income from these 1099 forms?

Thank you for your time,
San Jose


Date:  Fri, 2 Apr 2004

Hello Barbara,

The commissions should probably be reported on Schedule C. As an "independent contractor" receiving commissions, you are considered to have a trade or business. The prizes should be reported as "other income" on line 21 of Form 1040.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy