How do I figure the right number of exemptions to claim?

April 14, 2004

From:  Kim
Date:  Wed, 31 Mar 2004

I just recently bought a house and want to change what I claim on my taxes. Currently, I claim single 0, but I am married. I know next year I will have a huge write off. I would like to claim more to get more now when I need it to help pay for the house. Of course, when I actually file I will claim married. How does it work? I have no idea my limit as to how many to claim.


Date:  Fri, 2 Apr 2004

Hello Kim,

There is a worksheet for Form W-4 (the withholding form) that outlines a method for computing the correct number of exemptions to claim. Try using the worksheet. You might need to seek help with this from a tax advisor.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy