Can I claim my parents as dependents if they come to live with me?

May 5, 2003

Subject:  Parents as dependants
From:  Kuymar
Date:  Tue, 15 Apr 2003


While searching the web, I came across your responses to the queries of two individuals. My question is somewhat similar. I am a citizen of this country. My parents live in India. I want them to come and live with me here in the US. They have no income other than rental property. Yearly income from these rents comes to under $2,000.00.

If they come on visitor visas, as their applications to become permanent residents is in process, can I claim them as dependents? I expect them to become permanent residents within 6 months.

Thanks much.



Date:  30 Apr 2003

In order to qualify as a dependent, your parents must be residents of the United States by the end of the year. (I don't think a visitor's visa will qualify.) You must also provide more than one-half of their support. They may not file a joint income tax return.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Connect on Google+
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy