Can I claim my deceased father as a dependent?

August 15, 2011

From:  Shahnaz
Date:  Thu, 8 Apr 2010
Subject:  Claiming my dad for year 2009 after his passing in Jan 2009?

I have been claiming my father as a dependent for several years. He passed away during January 2009. Can I still claim him on my 2009 income tax return?



Date:  5 May 2010

Hello Shahnaz,

Probably. You get to claim dependent exemptions for the year of death and the year of birth, even though the individual only was a dependent for part of the year. See IRS Publication 501 at

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy