How do I report royalty income from my patent?

August 19, 2011

From:  Joseph
Date:  Thu, 20 Aug 2009

"A professor at a university transferred rights to a patent to the university, as required under his employment contract. The university paid royalties to the professor under a royalty distribution agreement for the transfer of the patent. The IRS National Office ruled that the payments were not compensation for services, but compensation for the transfer of the patent, qualifying as (long-term) capital gains. The right to continued receipt of the payments is not contingent on continued employment with the university, but on the use or value of licensing the patent." (TAM 200249002.)

I am in this situation but it is not clear to me how to report the royalty on my tax return? Which form and how to report.


Date:  4 Sep 2009

Hello Joseph,

Report the income as royalties for transfer of a patent at Schedule D, Part II (long-term capital gains).

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy