Do we owe interest and penalties for our preparer's mistake?

September 10, 2003

Subject:  Need Advice

From:  John
Date:  Fri, 22 Aug 2003

My wife and I were recently notified about our 2001 tax return. It seems that our tax preparer added our w2's and 1099's wrong. He stated that we paid $14,000 in taxes, when we in fact paid only $11,000 in taxes that year. The IRS wants a total of $6,000 interest, penalties and the correct tax. Any suggestions on how to handle this matter will be greatly appreciated.



Date:  Fri, 29 Aug 2003

Hello John,

You apparently do owe the money for the tax. I suggest you see the tax return preparer about recovering at least the penalties and possibly the interest that is due because of the error.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy