How do I report profit from my S corporation?

September 15, 2006

Subject:  S-corp. withdrawal
Date:  Mon, 31 Jul 2006
From:  Thao

Dear Mr. Gray,

I own a very small business and receive wages and W-2s from my S corporation. After the year-end, there is some left over profit reported on Schedule K-1 to report on my individual income tax return. If I withdraw this amount, how is it reported?



Date:  Wed, 02 Aug 2006

Hello Thao,

You track accumulated S corporation profits on Schedule M-2, analysis of accumulated adjustment account. Distributions are reported in Box 16, under code D.

Since S corporation distributions that are not wages aren't subject to social security tax, the IRS is claiming all distributions made to sole shareholder owners should be reported as wages.

S corporations are not simple to report on income tax returns. There are many issues that I can't go into detail about here. Consider getting help from an income tax return preparer.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy