How do I prove my mother is my dependent?

October 25, 2002

Subject:  I need help
From:  Glenda

I need to get my 79 year old mother added as my dependent. How do I go about getting this done. Please advise.



Date:  Mon, 07 Oct 2002

Hello Glenda,

Like any other tax deduction, you document whether a dependent qualifies using receipts and cancelled checks to prove you are providing more than one-half his or her support.

To claim an exemption on a US tax return, the dependent must be a citizen, national or resident of the United States, a resident of Canada or Mexico at some time during the calendar year in which the tax year of the taxpayer begins, or an alien child adopted by and living with a U.S. citizen or national as a member of his or her household for the entire tax year.

The claimed dependent must have less than $2,900 for 2001 (estimated to be $3,000 for 2002) of gross income during the calendar year.

If you are not dealing with US tax law, I highly recommend that you find a local tax advisor to help you or visit the local office of your tax authority (the equivalent of the Internal Revenue Service.)

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy