Can I be reimbursed for rental expenses due to an accident?

April 12, 2006

Subject:  Car rental after accident
Date:  Tue, 07 Mar 2006
From:  Kelly

If you had an accident and had to rent a car to get to work, is any part of the expense that isn’t reimbursed from insurance deductible?

Thank you,



Date:  Mon, 03 Apr 2006

Hello Kelly,

Probably not.

Casualty losses are usually determined based on the decrease in the value of the property. Incidental expenses aren’t generally deductible.

Also, you deduct $100 from an individual casualty loss and 10% of your adjusted gross income from your total casualty losses for the year. This "floor" makes it hard to deduct casualty losses except for damage to real estate.

Also, employee commuting expenses are non-deductible personal expenses.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy