Can I deduct a loss from a Roth IRA?

March 3, 2003

From:  Dave
Date:  Wed, 22 Jan 2003

I have a question... I took out a Roth IRA $2,000 investment in 2000. The value of the Roth has dropped to $1,000. I took the money and used it for my daughter's college. Can I deduct the loss?


Date:  5 Feb 2003

Hello Dave,

Assuming this is your only Roth account, yes. The loss is deducted as a miscellaneous itemized deduction on Schedule A, subject to reduction by 2% of adjusted gross income. Since the distribution is a recovery of basis, it is not subject to an early distribution penalty. The distribution must be reported on Form 8606, even though it's not taxable. See IRS Publication 590.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For more information about Roth and traditional IRAs, buy our book: How to use Roth & IRA accounts to provide a secure retirement, 2012 Edition!

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy