What do I do if someone else claims my dependent?

May 29, 2002

From:  Anonymous
Date:  Thu, 3 Jan 2002

My boyfriend claimed my son the same year I did. Now I do not know where to go for help or what I need to do.


Date:  January 2002


There is a good chance the IRS will discover this error by matching the your son's social security number on your return and your boyfriend's. You need to resolve the conflict of who is entitled to the exemption. Usually it's the custodial parent. If you or your boyfriend files an amended return without the exemption, you will eliminate the issue. Go to a tax return preparer for help.

It sounds like you might have a more serious problem than the exemption. It may be you are involved in an abusive relationship. Please get some counseling.

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy