Will I receive stepped-up basis for stock I owned with my Mom?

September 29, 2008

Date:   Tue, 03 Jul 2007
From:   Jan


My mother owned 2,000 shares of stock. Before her death, she added my name to the account as joint tenant with rights of survivorship. All of the investments made in the account were hers, none were made by me. When I sell the shares, can I receive stepped-up basis as of her date of death?

Thank you,


Date:   07 Aug 2007

Hello Jan,

Yes. Property owned as joint tenants with an individual who isn't the decedent's spouse for which the decedent provided all of the consideration is fully includable in the decedent's taxable estate, and therefore eligible for a 100% basis adjustment at death (or the alternate valuation date, if applicable).

Good luck!
Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy