Is my 18-year-old former stepson my dependent?

August 22, 2011

From:  Michele
Date:  Wed, 27 Jun 2007
Subject:  Question about Claiming former Step son as dependent.

Is my 18-year-old former stepson considered my dependent? He lived with me for the first 13 years of his life, before I was divorced from his father. His father passed away two years ago, when my former stepson was 16.

The boy lives with me full time. I will support him through his last year of high school and through college. I am also adding him to my health and dental insurance.


Date:  2 Jul 2007

Hello Michele,

The answer is more difficult than you might think.

Since he is no longer your stepson, he is no longer a "qualifying child".

You can claim him as a dependent while he is living in your home and you are providing more than half of his support, providing he does not have gross income exceeding $3,400 for 2007.

Has he applied for social security benefits as an orphan of his father?

Consider legally adopting him to get the benefits of being able to continue claiming a dependent exemption when he is a full-time student through age 23, despite his income level. You should get legal advice about your responsibilities and update your will before taking this step.

Good luck!

Mike Gray

For answers to new questions, subscribe to our newsletter, Michael Gray, CPA's Tax & Business Insight by filling out the form below.

Home    Newsletter Archive    Introducing Michael Gray, CPA    Articles    Tax FAQ   Need Help?    Other Links

Michael Gray, CPA
2482 Wooding Ct.
San Jose, CA 95128
(408) 918-3162
FAX: (408) 938-0610
Hours: 8am - 5pm PDT Monday - Friday

Find us on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Connect on LinkedIn
Our Blog

Subscribe to Michael Gray, CPA's
Tax & Business Insight

We respect your email privacy